This is one of Hannah’s original recipes that we love to have on lazy weekend mornings while catching up on the previous evening’s TV together.
Due to Hannah’s lack of appetite brought about by Long-Covid, she started experimenting to create nutritious and tasty meals that would have interesting and varied textures. The soft, gooey, squishy texture of these breakfast biscuits, combined with the subtle crunch of the bran flakes and the peanut pieces, and the slightly chewy outer edges, make these biscuits a perfect breakfast staple.
Biscuits, cookies or mini-cakes?
There has been a certain amount of debate between us as to whether these are biscuits, cookies or mini-cakes…
Hannah insists that, as it’s her recipe, her wording goes (well, it is what we’ve called the recipe, after all!), but Frederika says that they are of a cake-like texture (are jaffa cakes cakes, or biscuits? Hannah says biscuits, Frederika says biscuit-shaped cakes!) and that they are, if anything, cookies (chewy/soft)…Hannah says ‘cookies’ is simply the American term for biscuits… We’ll let you decide! Whatever you call them, they are delicious 🙂
Ingredients (for 8 small or 6 large biscuits)
- 4 ripe bananas
- a pinch of salt
- 50ml milk
- 2tbsp peanut butter (our preference is crunchy, but it’s your choice)
- 1tsp clear honey
- 4tbsp self-raising flour
- 60g bran flakes
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C (fan)
- Mash the bananas until they’re creamy
- Mix in a generous pinch of salt to bring out the sweetness of the bananas (honestly, it works!)
- Add the milk to the bananas and mix well
- Mix in the peanut butter and the honey
- Stir through the self-raising flour
- Mix in the bran flakes, ensuring they are evenly distributed through the mixture
- Spoon onto a lined baking tray (6 or 8 equal sized scoops)
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 18 minutes
- Leave to cool on the baking tray for 5 minutes
- Eat while they are still warm!
Note: These will keep a day or two in the fridge, but they’re at their most delicious when they’re freshly baked – and you’ll be hard-pushed to resist eating them all!
Hannah’s Breakfast Biscuits | Gloriously Simple, Gloriously Good!
Are you following us on Instagram yet? In addition to the recipes, @GGF_CookingWithMyDaughter will give you glimpses into the makings of our videos and our lives.