“Life begins at breakfast”…
…according to Dorset Cereals – so they’ve set me a ‘Breafkast Challenge’
The lovely people at Dorset Cereals have kindly sent me a load of Dorset Cereal goodies and set me a challenge – to sit down over breakfast and ponder happiness.
Well, as The Happiness Speaker and author of ‘Recipe for Happiness‘, I had to jump at this opportunity, of course!
Over the past week or so, I have tucked into the wonderful breakfast goodies Dorset Cereals kindly sent me and made a point of taking time out to savour my breakfast and reflect.
On one such morning, as it was the weekend, I sat down with my eldest daughter, Charlie, and asked her what made her happy, too. I was delighted by her answer:
Having nothing to do now I’ve finished my exams, and being able to have lots of lie-ins!
So many other teenagers who have finished their exams are already complaining of being bored, rather than ejoying the luxury of being able to relax, see their friends, sleep in the mornings and enjoy some well-earned rest.
I’ve now sampled all the cereals I was sent and have enjoyed & savoured every mouthful. I feel like I’m cheating a little as I talk and write about happiness all the time, but here are some of my TOP HAPPINESS BOOSTERS:
- Gratitude – writing down 3 gratitudes per day
- Savouring the little things/moments in life
- Injecting energy into life – dance, sing, walk, go to the gym…whatever takes your fancy! I’ve been going to the gym 3 times per week and exercising at home twice per week for the last 10 weeks and it’s made a huge difference to my energy levels, motivation and ability to focus on my work.
- Accept that ‘stuff happens’ – not everything is under our control and trying to change that only leaves us frustrated
- Ask for help! You don’t have to do everything on your own. Delegate, ask people to help you (emotionally, practically, financially) when you need it. Asking for help is not a weakness, it’s a strength.
Gratitude is possibly THE most important happiness-booster, in my opinion. Here are just a few of the gratitudes I pondered as I woke up this morning and over my delicious bowl of Dorset Cereals Honey Porridge:
- Having wonderful friends (and having planned a fun day with a few of them and their children today)
- Music (and having tickets to go and see Blondie live tonight!)
- My health
- Lovely people sending me free food to write about in my blog! 😉
- My wonderful family
- Having a roof over our heads and food on the table
- My professional support network
Over to you! What makes YOU happy? Answers in comments, please 🙂
Disclosure: I was sent free full-size cereal packs by Dorset Cereals for the purpose of blogging about breakfast and happiness. The opinions in this blog are my own.