This fat-free, low-carb, low-calorie salad is a feast for the eyes as well as the stomach
I’ve created this salad for my pre-surgery diet before my weight-loss surgery, but despite the lemon-scent (obtained from grating in some lemon zest), if you take out the tomatoes and replace them with additional vegetables, e.g. cucumber, sweetcorn, freshly shelled peas etc, it is also suitable for anyone following a reflux diet. I am tolerating tomatoes quite well now my reflux has settled down a lot, and as my diet is so severely restricted for these few days before my surgery, I have opted to use the tomatoes.
You can have this salad on its own, or serve it with a variety of meat or fish. In this instance, I served it with a delicious seared tuna steak, seasoned with sea salt, garlic and chilli.
Ingredients (for one generous portion)
- Three small tomatoes, chopped into small pieces (see note above if you are following a reflux diet)
- 1/3rd of a red pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 1/3rd of a yellow pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 2tbsp cooked cous-cous
- 1tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- zest of 1/3rd of a lemon, finely grated
- sea salt, to taste
Mix all ingredients together. Serve & enjoy!