This is not so much a rice salad recipe as an idea of ingredients you could put into your rice salad
My mother always used to do rice salad with tuna, olives, and lots of other ingredients; It was always seasoned with extra virgin olive oil and salt rather than mayonnaise.
I still adore rice salad with tuna, but for a meat BBQ side dish that doesn’t always work (especially when hubby can’t stand tuna!). This is my Italian/Mediterranean take on the English rice salad made with mayonnaise. I’ve not added quantities as this will depend on how many people you want to feed…and you can adjust the ingredient quantities to suit your individual taste.
- Long grain rice, washed in cold water, then boiled according to instructions (usually approx. 12 mins) in slightly salted water, then rinsed in a colander under cold water and left to cool down and drain/dry
- Pitted black olives, sliced
- Pitted green olives, sliced
- Chargrilled artichokes in oil, drained and chopped
- Sundried tomatoes in oil, drained and finely chopped
- Sweetcorn (tinned, drained)
- Spring onions, finely chopped
- Capers, drained and finely chopped
- Green, Yellow and Red peppers, finely chopped
- Mayonnaise or extra virgin olive oil
Mix all the ingredients together, taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Cover with clingfilm and refrigerate until needed.
Food safety note: Rice can quickly become unsafe to eat as it contains spore-forming bacteria. Always keep cooked rice refrigerated and, in the case of rice salad, which will be eaten cold (i.e. without re-heating to kill off any bacteria), consume within a couple of days.