This is a very simple and quick alternative to “Cheese on Toast” –
to give it a more Italian twist
Although Insalata Caprese (Tomato, Mozzarella, Basil, drizzle of Olive Oil, pinch of Salt) does not come on toast and doesn’t have Oregano in it, this simple Pizza Toast is a variation on the same theme
I love Italian flavours, and I love simple and quick food. I am very busy and always on the go, so being able to eat delicious food that doesn’t take forever to prepare and doesn’t cost the earth is very important to me.
This Pizza Toast is a simple yet delicious Italian-style lunch (I don’t think you’d see anyone in Italy making it, mind you…we Italians aren’t big on ‘toast’ in the British sense of the word).
Ingredients (for 2 people as a light lunch or for one very hungry person):
- 4 medium thick slices of white bread
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1-2 mozzarella balls (depending on how ‘cheesy’ you want the end result to be – I like mine quite light on the cheese
- a pinch of dried oregano
- a drizzle of good quality extra virgin olive oil
- a pinch of salt
- Toast the bread slices lightly on one side only
- Drizzle some olive oil onto the untoasted side of each slice of bread
- Place on some tomato slices
- Sprinkle on some dried oregano
- Sprinkle on some salt
- Place broken up (not cut) mozzarella pieces over the top – mozzarella is nicest on pizza when it is broken up by hand, crumbled almost
- Toast until the mozzarella is melted and slightly golden/dark in places and the toast edges are golden and crisp
Serve on its own or with a side salad.