Quick & Simple Recipe for Leeks in Creamy White Sauce
- Trim the leeks & cut them halfway lenghtways, then into roughly 0.5cm thick slices
- Place them in a bowl of cold water to allow any soil residue to wash away
- Pick them out of the water without moving any soil residue that may be at the bottom of the bowl
- Place them into a pan with a good dollop of butter
- Turn the heat on high, add some salt & freshly-grated nutmeg
- Place the lid on to allow the leeks to steam, lifting it off occasionally to stir the leeks & avoid them burning
- After approx. 5 mins, they will be cooked but still have some crunch
- In a shaker, mix some milk and plain flour, pour them into the leeks in the pan, stirring continuously as this will thicken almost instantly
- Add some double cream if you want a really creamy dish!
- Season to taste with additional salt & freshly-grated nutmeg, if required
- Serve with your favourite meat!
Tip: for 6 people, use approximately 5-6 leeks with 200ml semi-skimmed milk and 1.5tbsp plain white flour, then add approx. 100ml double cream
Gloriously Simple, Gloriously Good!